The following is an extract from the press at the time the Hunt moved to Quorn Park:
THE HOME OF A FAMOUS PACK: THE OLD QUORN KENNELS AND THE FINE NEW BUILDINGS WHICH ARE TAKING THEIR PLACE
Followers of hounds throughout the Quorn country will welcome the thought of a new home for the famous Quorn pack. For years past now the hounds have been more or less troubled with rheumatism, and it is believed that when they are transferred to their new quarters this trouble will disappear. How long they have been in their present home is a matter for conjecture. Some say two hundred years, and according to one authoritythe Quorn kennels were built about the year 1730. To the villagers their removal will be a matter for regret. For one thing it will be a financial loss to them. But, apart from this, they have grown so accustomed to the hounds, and take such a keen interest in their doings, that, to a certain extent, they look upon them as their own property. The kennels as they stand today are virtually as they were a hundred years ago. The record of the Quorn Hunt, which has ever been one of the principal packs in the country, shows that, if anything, hunting was not so popular thirty years ago as now. In 1866-67, when the then Marquess of Hastings was Master, there were undoubtedly fewer who followed the hounds than at the present time.
Coming down to recent years, it was while Lord Lonsdale watched the fortunes of the Quorn Hunt that the custom of meeting in Loughborough Market Place on Boxing Day was inaugurated. Of late years there have been more hounds kept at the kennels than formerly. The standard number is fifty-two couples, but in Lord Lonsdale's time there were an additional twenty couples. Captain Burns Hartopp, upon succeeding Lord Lonsdale, kept up this number, and at the present time there are some seventy couples of hunting hounds at the kennels.
The new kennels, the grounds of which cover ten acres, presented by Mr E.H.Warner, are situated at Pawdy Cross Roads, on the road from Barrow-on-Soar to Six Hills. The subsoil is a heavy Leicestershire clay, and as the position is high it should prove healthy. The buildings, though plain in style, are very substantial, and their effect is pleasing. The total cost is about £11,000, and they give accommodation for thirty-five horses, about a hundred couples of hounds, and twenty men. The buildings are in four blocks - the stables, the kennels, the huntsman's house, and three cottages. Continuing the fromtage are three cottages, and at the extreme end of itis the huntsman's house, the kenneks coming between, but kept about seventy feet back from the road. The whole of the buildings are beautifully fitted up with all the latest appliances, so that the hounds can be well cared for whether in sickness or in health. Leicester water has been laid on, and plantations are being formed as a shelter on the north and east sides.
The original construction of Quorn Park in 1905
Soon after moving in
By January 1988 it became apparent that there were considerable problems associated with the kennels are Barrow-on-Soar. The two main worries were: the increasing traffic on the Pawdy Road which was making Hound and Horse exercise even more dangerous and the probability of very large repair bills on the buildings, over and above the high maintenance costs.
The possibility of a move was considered and several existing sites including Baggrave, Streethill and Willoughby were examined, but eventually it became clear that the cost of buying and modifying existing buildings would be on a par with repairing Pawdy.
The buildings were subsequently converted to a range of quality homes all with their own gardens and parking areas.